Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Nautical Get Well

We've been having a heat wave for the last few days and it's brought soaring temperatures and sleepless nights.  So, when you can't sleep you might as well stamp..........right?

I'd been trying to come up with a masculine "Get Well" card and when I checked out this week's sketch on Paper Craft Crew Challenges it grabbed me right away. I love when that happens! 
 Here's the sketch:

You can check out the design team's submissions and other entries by clicking here:  PCCSC #101
Here's my card:
 

As luck would have it, I'd just received an order from Stampin' Up! and was thinking of using some of the new Designer Series Paper (DSP) called Maritime to make a nautical theme card.  One look at the sketch and I knew I would be able to incorporate the DSP and stamps from the Open Sea stamp set into my card.  
The Open Sea Stamp Set is perfect for making masculine cards and teamed up with the new Maritime DSP it's sure to be a big hit. 
For the inside of my card I wanted to make a bold statement so I chose to use the "Get Well" sentiment from a recently retired set called Perfectly Penned*.  I love the script on this stamp and I thought it went perfectly with the Open Sea images.  I stamped it in Real Red ink.  The ship image is stamped in Night of Navy.  The inside layer dimensions are 5 x 3 3/4"
*Some alternative "get well sentiments" from the new 2014-15 catalogue that would work for this card can be found in the following sets:  Fabulous Four on pg 13, Sassy Salutations on pg 67, A Dozen Thoughts on pg 108 and Really Good Greetings on pg 120.

I love the bold written message I used for the front of the card.  The sentiment "Sending Good Thoughts Your Way", is from the Perfect Pennants 10 piece stamp set on page 16 of the catalogue.  When you're looking for sentiments remember that Stampin Up has put together a Greeting Alphabet Stamp Set Index on pages 245 -247 of the catalogue. The Whisper White banner was cut out with the Banner Framelits and the image was popped up with dimensionals on the card face. 

The map image from the Open Sea has been layered with Night of Navy and Real Red card stock that was cut out with the Circles framelits.  The beautiful little arrow comes from the Label Card Thinlets die set.   I used a red Sharpie Marker to colour one of the medium sized Basic Rhinestones and glued it to the tail of the arrow for a bit of bling. 

Supplies Used: 
Stamp Sets:  The Open Sea, Perfectly Penned and Perfect Pennants
Card Stock:  Whisper White, Night of Navy and Real Red
DSP:  Maritime #133696 coordinates with Coastal Cabana, Night of Navy, Real Red and Whisper White
Ink:  Real Red and Night of Navy
Accessories:  Circle Framelits, Banner Framelits, Label Card Thinlets, 1/4" Whisper White Grosgrain Ribbon, Large Basic Rhinestone coloured red with Sharpie Marker, Dimensionals, Paper Trimmer, Big Shot, Adhesive



During the month of July you can buy 3 Designer Series Papers and get a fourth one for free.  That's how I got my Maritime Paper and I'm loving it! 

Here's one last look at my card.  I love how the Maritime DSP gives such a strong nautical image to the face of this card.  The designs are so classic.

Hope you enjoyed this post and will come back and see me again sometime soon.  Please leave a comment if you like this card, it's the only way I know if I'm making something that's appealing to others.  So let me know would you like to receive this card?  I'd appreciate it.

HAPPY STAMPING
PENNY TOKENS

12 comments:

Jan said...

Such a fabulous male card Penny! I love your greeting paired with the world image from the Open Sea - just fabulous! Thanks so much for joining us at The Paper Craft Crew this week :-)

Karen M said...

Penny, this is amazing! I love what you've done with the globe and the arrow and the sentiment. It all comes together to make a perfect masculine card, love it x

laurie said...

Perfect masculine card,that's a favorite set of mine.I like how you finished the inside too!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Jan for dropping by and commenting on my card. Open Sea has been one of my favourite masculine stamps so I was thrilled to see the Maritime DSP in the new catalogue. Extra excuses to use the set!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Karen I'm glad you like my masculine card and how it all comes together. Such a nice compliment. Thanks so much for dropping by and leaving me some words of encouragement.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Jan I'm so happy I was able to make the deadline for this weeks sketch challenge. Last week I missed by a few hours. LOL! Life always seems to get in the way. Thanks so much for dropping by and for your great comment.

Kristie W. said...

Wonderful masculine card! I have the paper but not the set, may need to get it!

Penny Hanuszak said...

Thanks Kristie for dropping by and commenting on my card. I luv, luv, luv the Open Sea set. It's one of my first "go to" stamp sets when I need to make a masculine card. Happy stampin, and thanks again!

Seryna said...

Hello! I found your blog from the Stampin' connection. I truly enjoyed this post. I've been racking my brain for 'guy cards'. My Maritime paper just arrived and now I am eager to start crafting with it. Thanks for sharing. ~Anne

Penny Hanuszak said...

Anne thanks for sharing your lovely comment. So glad I could help you in the "guy" card department. I know that's always a hard one for me too. I love the Maritime paper it was perfect for this card. I have lots of masculine card ideas on my Pinterest site (see Cards Masculine).

Jan said...

Back again Penny! Just thought I'd let you know I CASED your card :-) You can see my version of your fabulous card here. http://janscreativecorner.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/good-world.html
Thanks again for joining us at The Paper Craft Crew!

Unknown said...

Love your card and the colors are awesome. Thanks for playing along with the Paper Craft Crew.

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Rainbows, a Pot of Gold, Leprechauns green beer and shenanigans are all part of celebrating St. Patty's Day on March 17th. I have a sma...